Thursday, July 16, 2015

Moonlight Masquerade Nail




     
        This design was partly inspired by Bethany Griffin's Red Death Saga, which is a retelling of Edgar Allen Poe's Masque of the Red Death. I enjoyed these books and the protagonist Araby (who loves glitter and has purple hair!) so much I decided to do some nails inspired by the book. So when bornprettystore contacted me to do a review of some of their products, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. The moon, the mask, and the large black pearls were sent to me and I absolutely love them!
         To do this design I used clear acrylic on the nail bed to keep the glitter from sticking to the nail (I know its fake hand, but its a habit lol). Then I used my own glitter called Arabian Nights at the top of the nail and faded it down to a little past halfway. Then I used a purple glitter mis from The Glitter Nail Shop (if I remember what it's called I'll put it here) and faded that up from the tip. I encapsulated the glitter with clear acrylic, filed and buffed the nail. I decided to use gel to secure the 3D nail art since I didn't quite know how I wanted to place everything. Gel will give you plenty of time to move things around if you don't like the way they look, unlike glue. Once I had the larger pieces in the gel, I flash cured for about 20 seconds to keep the nail art from moving around so much. Then I used nail glue on the nail and placed the rest of the nail art. The reason I used gel AND glue is because I feel like gel isn't strong enough to hold larger pieces of nail art on its own (just my opinion).
        This is definitely one of my favorite designs. I'm seriously considering doing a full set like this. The review of bornprettystore.com and the tutorial for this design is down below. Please check them out and let me know what you think.


                                            My review of bornprettystore.com:


The tutorial for this design:



No comments:

Post a Comment